MEET THE MUSIC
Join us one hour before Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Classics performances for Meet the Music, an interactive pre-concert discussion about the works you'll experience live in concert. MSO musicians and local music experts will discuss what makes the repertoire compelling, pertinent and fascinating. Meet the Music lectures are free for all ticketholders.*
* Meet the Music is not held for Specials, unless otherwise specified.
MSO + Me
We look forward to the return of this side-by-side performance opportunity for community musicians when we are in our new hall in the 2020-2021 season! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
UWM FRIENDS OF THE MSO LECTURE SERIES
Sponsored by the UWM Friends of the MSO, along with the Peck School of the Arts, UWM Alumni Association, Friends of the Golda Meir Library, and the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, this lecture series consists of four free community programs presented in the UWM Fine Arts Recital Hall from 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm. Contact Karli Larsen at 414.226.7848 for more information.
Upcoming 2019.20 Season Lectures:
- Wednesday, September 11, 2019: Bret Dorhout, MSO Vice President of Artistic Planning, will speak on the significance of Ken-David Masur’s first program as Music Director to be performed by the MSO on September 13 - 15. This will include Schumann’s Piano Concerto in A minor and the Suite from Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss.
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019: Dietrich Hemann, MSO Horn, will speak on the program to be performed by the MSO on November 1 + 2 and focus on Schumann’s Konzertstuck, rarely performed and riddled with challenges for the entire horn section — Schumann was excited to compose for horns with valves, an innovation in his time.
- Wednesday, April 20, 2020: Ken-David Masur, the MSO’s newly appointed Music Director, will speak on the program to be performed by the MSO on May 1 + 2 and will discuss the musical and historical significance of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 3, “Eroica”, along with works by Rodion Shchedrin and Golijov.
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020: MSO Concertmaster Frank Almond will speak on the Bruch Violin Concerto, his career as concertmaster of the Milwaukee Symphony, and the MSO’s 2019-20 season finale to be performed by the MSO on June 12 - 14.
Dessert and de-caf coffee will be served at the end of each program. Attendees will be able to purchase discounted tickets to the featured concert. These Wednesday programs are free and open to the public. We encourage you to bring friends.