Open to pianists who, by June 13, 2019 will have reached their 10th birthday, but who will not have reached their 17th birthday by June 17, 2019.
Andrews Sill, PianoArts Music Director
Yaniv Dinur, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Associate Conductor
Two distinguished panels of professionals will judge the competition. One for the preliminary round, and one for the June competition.
- First Place: $1,000 and the opportunity to perform with the MSO
- Second Place: $750
- Third Place: $500
Wisconsin Conservatory of Music, 1584 North Prospect Avenue, Milwaukee
PROCEDURE OF THE COMPETITION
- Preliminary Round: Contestant creates CD recording of a performance of the first movement of (1) a selected concerto with a second pianist performing the orchestra parts and (2) selected solo of the contestant’s choice. To be considered, the pianist must send the CD, application materials, signed Statement of Agreement and check for $15 made payable to the MSO to: Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, 1101 N. Market Street #100, Milwaukee, WI 53202. Postmark deadline is April 19, 2019.
- Invitations will be sent in early May to up to twelve contestants selected as semifinalists.
- Registration, classes on June 14-15: Semifinalists will rehearse and attend workshops on working with a conductor ($50 registration fee).
- Competition and Semifinal Recitals on June 16: Contestants perform the first movement of selected concerto with professional second pianists. Using their own words, contestants speak to the audience about the music they are playing. Three finalists are chosen to perform in the prize round.
- Rehearsal on June 17: Three finalists rehearse with a conductor and quintet from the MSO. Other semifinalists participate in a solo master class.
- Finals and Awards Concert on June 17: Three finalists perform with a conductor and the MSO quintet to compete to perform with the MSO and for cash prizes.
Contestant recitals are free and open to the public
Semifinalists must arrive in Milwaukee by June 14 and attend all scheduled events through the evening of June 17.
Proudly presented by the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and PianoArts North American Biennial Piano Competition.